Reporting A Veteran's Death


Steps To Reporting A Veteran's Death


The first steps to receiving assistance and benefits for a Veteran's death is to report it to the appropriate agencies below:


  • Social Security Administration (SSA) 1-800-772-1213

  • The Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) 1-800-538-9552

  • Defense Finance & Accounting Services (DFAS) Retired Casualty Section (If Veteran was a retiree) 1-888-332-7411 

  • The Office of Personnel Management (If Veteran was also a current or retired Federal civilian employee) 1-888-767-6738

  • Veterans Benefits Administration (If Veteran was receiving disability compensation or a pension) 1-800-827-1000

  • Veterans Administration (VA) (If Veteran was enrolled in a VA sponsored life insurance policy) 1-800-669-8477

  • Veterans Administration (VA) (If Veteran was a retiree enrolled in the Servicemember's Group Life Insurance plan) 1-800-419-1473

  • Linked Up Church (If Veteran was a member of the Church) (404) 334-0336

If the deceased Veteran is a member (or the relative of a member) of the "Vets In The Know" Connect  Group or a member (or the relative of a member) of Linked Up Church, notify this Connect Group of his or her death via the Contact page on this website. Provide your name, email address and in the message field provide the deceased Veteran's full name and branch of service. We will honor those deceased Veterans by posting their names on the "Vets In The Know" Memorial Wall page of this website.