How To Request Military Treatment Records, VA Claims File & FOIA Request


VA Form 20-10206 (Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or Privacy Act (PA)

(Request – Records Request)


The VA has instituted a new policy for requesting individual records.  Veterans must now use VA Form 20-10206, when requesting their VA Claims File (C-File), Service Treatment Records/Military Treatment Records, DD form 214 and/or Compensation and Pension Examination Records.   This form must be signed by the requester or third-party authorized to act on behalf of the requester.


In Section III: Records You are Seeking, select the type(s) of records you are requesting.


What is a FOIA Request?  A FOIA request provides the public the right to request access to records from Federal agencies, except those protected by the nine FOIA exemptions.  For additional information, vist:


What is a PA Request?  A citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence may request access to or amendment of records on herself/himself from a System of Records (SORs).  Examples of PA records are personal Claims Files (C-Files), educational loan, and beneficiary records.  For additional information, visit:

Mail or fax VA Form 20-10206 to Department of Veterans Affairs, Evidence Intake Center, P.O. Box 4444, Janesville, WI 53547-4444.  Fax Number:  TOLL FREE:  844-822-5246 or COMM: (248) 524-4260.   You now have the option to send your request as an electronic submission to:  FOIA,